Friday, April 8, 2011

Drinking Water to Give Water :: water.cc


H20 Project from Living Water International on Vimeo.

Jesus said not to broadcast to fasting, to anoint your head with oil, to keep from your left hand what your right is doing. But I think in this case, Jesus would be okay with letting other people in on what's going on.

For Lent this year, I'm drinking nothing but water. My friend Hannah at Blind Bartimaeus first let me know about an org called Living Water International and the H2O Project. Hannah traveled with Living Water (great name, btw) to El Salvador. She has a great series of daily Lenten posts reflecting on her trip and the global need for clean water.

When I heard about the project, my first thought was, "Oh no, I do not want to do that. That would be hard." So I knew I would have to do it.

I've never been a great fundraiser. I'd rather do with less than have to ask other people for money. (I think I read Stone Soup a few times to often as a child.)

But this fast isn't about my needs. In fact, it only touches tangentially on what I instinctively think of as my spiritual practice. This fast is about clean water--a resource I have in such abundance (Lake Michigan is three blocks away) that I forget that it's a resource.

So check out water.cc. Maybe it's late to sign onto the H2O Project for Lent. Do it for Pentecost. Do it for forty random days. Or, more simply, just send the org some money. Regularly. Water is good, necessary stuff.


The Story of the Thirsty - Short from Living Water International on Vimeo.water.ceewater.cc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...